St Paul's News and Recent Events
A team of S2s - Oriana, Steven, Cain, Connor and Matthew were invited to the national final of the Cisco Little Big Awards down at Cisco HQ in London. The pupils had to present their Internet of Things idea to a panel of judges and an audience of their peers, followed by promoting their idea at a trade stand. Our team came up with idea of a piece of wearable tech. - 'The Broadcoat' which among other things changes temperature according to weather forecasts from the internet. The pupils also got the chance to take part in a Microbit workshop and received a tour of the state of the art Cisco building. If that wasn't enough, the team won the category for Creativity, Design & Usability.
Congratulations to the winners of this year's silver award for The Leng Medal Scots Song Competition;
Rachel Galloway, S4
Ben Rodger S1
"DO YOU OR ONE OF YOUR MATES DESERVE AN AWARD?
- Good work in the community
- Helping others
- Raising lots of money for charity
- Activities which support the school
- VOTE NOW........"
One of you could win a £50 voucher for the Overgate!
(see school website or collect a nomination form from the school office )
I am writing to inform you that St. Paul's RC Academy will offer new S4 pupils the opportunity to purchase a blazer for academic session, 2014-15. As S4 pupils are now part of the Curriculum for Excellence Senior Phase, a number of present S3 pupils have expressed an interest in buying a blazer for next session. A pupil voice consultation exercise was carried out by current S3 Pupil Council members in PSHE lessons which established the demand. As a number of S3 pupils expressed an interest we have decided to afford the pupils this opportunity.
We must stress that purchasing a blazer for an S4 year is NOT compulsory. For pupils in S5/6, blazers will continue to be compulsory.
At the beginning of academic session 2013-14, the Pupil Council consulted with every pupil in the school via PSHE lessons and identified a number of projects the pupils identified as being important to them. One of the projects identified was to source alternative uniform suppliers. Following a thorough consultation exercise with pupils, parents and staff we have decided to change our blazer supplier to Academy Uniforms Limited, East Kilbride.
Academy Uniforms will supply us with both fitted and non-fitted Eco-Blazers made, in part, using 16 recycled plastic bottles. The Pupil Council have taken on board the opinions of all stakeholders to ensure we have sourced a high quality product with a high quality of service.
We can confirm the following in relation to fittings and cost:-
- Blazer fittings will take place on Monday 2nd June 2014 with a catch-up day planned prior to the summer holidays for any pupil who is absent that day.
- Collection of blazers will take place on Wednesday 20th August 2014.
- The total cost will be £50 (including braiding and badge). Where extra sleeve length is required a further cost of £7 will be incurred.
- A deposit of £25 will be paid on Monday 2nd June 2014.
- The outstanding balance of £25 will be paid on Wednesday 20th August 2014.
- The cost of school ties, both junior and senior, will be £5. Senior ties can be purchased on Wednesday 20th August 2014 when pupils collect their blazers.
I would like to emphasise again that it is NOT compulsory for new S4 students to purchase a blazer unless they wish to.
Should you require any further information regarding the changes noted above, please do not hesitate to contact me at the school on 01382 307708.